I was one of the many people who read today the news that KFC have been ordered to pay over £5M to a young lady for the brain damage she suffered as a consequence of salmonella poisoning allegedly picked up from a chicken wrap she ate at a KFC restaurant in Australia.
Now, two things stand out to me. Firstly is the size of the award. It seems very large. I have not been able to find much detail regarding the case, but this amount of money would lead me to suspect some level of extreme negligence, not just an accidental, isolated hygiene breach.